Make your skin silky smooth like fresh melted chocolate – these DIY chocolate face mask & scrubs are the sweetest things your skin can get!
Is there anyone who doesn’t like the sweet, decadent, alluring scent of chocolate? From chocolate fountains to delicate truffles, from chocolate cake you share with someone special to a guilty pleasure in hidden bites…
Chocolate has won our hearts ever since we learned how to make hot, steaming, creamy beverages out of the bitter grain of cocoa. It became a huge part of our meals, special moments, best memories and everyday lives in general.
It was only a matter of time for chocolate to find its way into skincare.
Today, chocolate is the main part of many luxury spa treatments. Prestigious hotels and spa centers offer chocolate body wraps and massages, mani-pedis, scrubs and facials.
Just thinking about sinking into one of their chocolate baths can make your toes curl and tingle.
Chocolate spa treatment can be a perfect way for you to relax, be pampered and add something really special to your day. Or it can be a caring, romantic gift for someone you love.
But, until the day you get to be so lucky to spend hours in a chocolate spa salon, there are 10 amazing DIY chocolate face masks and scrubs, to enjoy some of that experience at home. But first:
Benefits of Chocolate for Your Skin
- Cocoa contains glycerides, which moisturize the skin and prevent aging signs.
- Theobromine improves circulation. Theobromine is a substance that has much in common with caffeine. Its ability to speed up blood flow ensures better looking skin, but also means that chocolate has a slimming effect on the body. Not when you eat it, though. But that is why chocolate is included in body wraps in some salons, as a part of body contouring programs.
- Did you know that chocolate contains more antioxidants than green tea? Chocolate is rich in polyphenols. These antioxidants fight free radicals and slow down the aging process.
- Cocoa butter moisturizes, softens and smooths the skin, improves the skin’s elasticity and keeps it well-nourished and radiant.
- Minerals that chocolate contains, like copper, zinc and iron, stimulate new skin cell growth. Chocolate face masks regenerate and rejuvenate the skin and give it a fresh, youthful look.
- Improved circulation in the scalp means chocolate promotes the hair growth and reduces hair loss. It also makes your hair glossy and adds volume. That is why chocolate hair masks are so popular at the moment.
- DIY chocolate face masks are more than just skincare goodies. The scent of chocolate relaxes us. It stimulates endorphin production, which makes you feel good, relaxed and at ease with the world. It reduces the stress and that reflects on your looks.
- The scent of chocolate stimulates the release of serotonin, which also happens when we are falling in love. And who doesn’t look good when the cheeks heat up and the eyes start to sparkle?
10 DIY Chocolate Face Mask & Scrub Recipes
Have a piece of chocolate you don’t want to eat (Ha!)? Use it for a dreamy, aromatic and all-natural chocolate face mask.
Dark chocolate is much better for your skin than milk chocolate, so make sure to use high quality dark chocolate, with as high percentage of cocoa as you can find.
1. DIY Chocolate Face Mask with Milk & Honey
- 2 teaspoons melted chocolate
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon honey
This is a nourishing, moisturizing face mask, perfect to treat dry skin or dull complexion. During fall and winter, you should apply this mask at least once a week.
Just like chocolate, the other two ingredients also have many benefits for your skin. Milk and honey purify, soothe and hydrate the skin and make it soft and glowing.
Melt the chocolate. Add the milk and honey and remove from the heat. Mix everything well together, to get a smooth paste.
Apply the mixture to a clean face, preferably after a face scrub. Leave it on for 15 – 20 minutes. Wash the mask off and apply a face cream right away.
2. Brightening Chocolate & Aloe Vera Face Mask
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel
- 2 teaspoons milk
If your skin looks dull and tired, this is a perfect mask to bring it back to life. It provides the skin with lots of moisture, minerals and antioxidants and healthy fats from cocoa.
Aloe vera gel brightens the skin, makes it plump and youthful and evens out the skin tone. Milk exfoliates the dead, dry layer of skin cells and rejuvenates the skin.
First mix the cocoa powder and aloe vera gel. When you get a smooth mixture, add a little bit of milk, just to make the paste thinner and easier to spread on skin.
Soak a cotton ball in milk and wipe your face with it. Then apply the mask. Leave it on for 15 minutes, then wash off. Apply a lightweight face moisturizer.
3. Detoxifying DIY Chocolate Face Mask
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ cup kaolin clay
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
This face mask is one of the best DIY beauty products when you need something to purify and detoxify your skin. Besides, it is very practical because you can mix all the dry ingredients, keep them in a jar and just use a small amount every time you feel your skin needs deep cleansing.
To make this detoxifying DIY chocolate face mask, mix kaolin clay, cocoa powder and matcha green tea. Transfer the mixture into a clean glass container.
When you want to use the mask, mix around 1 tablespoon of the mixture with just enough water to get a smooth paste. Apply to a clean face and wait 10 minutes or until it dries, then rinse off.
Do not let the mask completely dry on your face! If it does, it might dehydrate your skin. Always wash off clay masks as soon as they start to dry and apply a face cream while your skin is still slightly damp.
4. Creamy DIY Chocolate Face Mask
- 2 pieces of chocolate
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon honey
Another face mask perfect for fall and winter time. No matter how cold it is outside and how harsh the wind is, this mask will recover your skin in no time and add some extra glow to your cheeks.
Melt the chocolate. Let it cool down just a bit. Add the honey and mix it in well. Then add the sour cream. Mix everything to get a smooth, creamy paste.
Apply the mask to a clean face. Leave it on for 15 – 20 minutes, then wash off. Apply a face cream right away, to lock in the moisture.
5. Rich and Luxurious Chocolate Face Mask
- 1 – 2 pieces of chocolate
- 1 teaspoon shea butter
This mask can make you feel like you’re in a luxurious chocolate spa salon. It is incredibly creamy, nourishing and moisturizing, smells amazing and feels great on the skin.
Shea butter is one of the best natural moisturizers. It easily penetrates the skin, replenishes it, improves the collagen production and protects the skin against free radicals.
Melt the chocolate and remove from the heat. Add the shea butter. Stir occasionally while the warmth of the chocolate melts the butter. If needed, warm up the mixture again.
Once your mixture is well combined, apply it to a clean, freshly scrubbed face (make sure it’s not too hot first). Leave it on for 15 – 20 minutes.
6. Chocolate Face Mask for Aging Skin
- 2 pieces of chocolate
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 – 4 drops vitamin E oil
It is best to use this mask as a prevention against wrinkles and fine lines. But it is also efficient if the aging signs already started to appear.
Egg yolk locks the moisture into the skin cells and makes the skin plump and supple. Vitamin E protects it against free radicals and prevents premature aging signs.
Melt the chocolate and let it cool down a bit. Add the egg yolk and mix it in well. In the end, add the vitamin E oils.
Apply to clean face and neck and leave it on for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove the mask using a cotton ball soaked in milk. Rinse off with lukewarm water and apply your face moisturizer.
7. Fruity DIY Chocolate Face Mask
- 1 tablespoon melted chocolate
- 2 teaspoons mashed banana
- 1 medium strawberry, mashed
This face mask is suitable for all skin types. It is hydrating and nourishing and provides lots of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your skin.
Banana makes the skin smooth and soft and protects it against the negative environmental influences. Strawberry brightens and exfoliates the skin and adds glow.
Mash the banana and strawberry and melt the chocolate. Mix all the ingredients. If your mask is too runny, you can add cocoa powder or oat flour.
This mask does a great job of refreshing and toning your skin, so make sure you include it in your beauty routine once every 1 – 2 weeks. Keep it on your face for around 20 minutes, then wash off.
8. Moisturizing Chocolate Face & Hair Mask
- 1 tablespoon melted chocolate
- 3 teaspoons mashed avocado
Yes, yes, chocolate DIY beauty products have their place even in hair care. After all, chocolate has many benefits for your hair as well. It stimulates the hair growth and adds shine and volume to the hair.
This is primarily DIY chocolate face mask, but you can make larger amounts and use it during your shower to moisturize both your skin and hair. However, don’t use it if you have blonde hair.
Mix melted chocolate with mashed avocado. If the mixture is too thick, you can add a bit of milk. Apply to your face and/or hair. After 20 minutes, wash it off.
9. Warm Chocolate Face Mask & Scrub
- 1 piece of chocolate
- 2 teaspoons coffee grounds
- 1 teaspoon jojoba oil
Regular exfoliation is extremely important for maintaining your skin healthy, youthful and glowing. Face scrubs remove the dead skin cells, dirt and excess oil off your face and encourage the skin to renew itself.
This face mask/scrub is also very nourishing and moisturizing. It makes the skin plump, soft, smooth and supple. You can use it once or twice a week.
Melt the chocolate. Add the coffee grounds and jojoba oil. Mix everything well together. As soon as it cools down enough not to burn your skin, apply to a damp face.
Massage your skin in slow, circular motions for about 5 minutes, then leave it on for 10 more minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser and apply a face cream.
10. Chocolate & Hazelnut Body Scrub
- 1 large tablespoon ground chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup hazelnut oil (you can use sweet almond oil instead)
- 1 tablespoon ground hazelnuts – optional
Chocolate sure has a way to make DIY beauty products look and sound like desserts :-).
First mix the sugar, chocolate and, if you are using them, hazelnuts. Add just enough oil to get the consistency similar to wet sand. Mix until everything is well combined.
Apply during a shower. Take your time and massage it in well. Wash it off using a gentle shower gel and apply a body lotion.
If you want to use this scrub on your face, use brown sugar instead of white, since it’s much gentler. Also, adjust the amount – you will need much less of it then for your whole body. And don’t forget to follow the scrub with a DIY chocolate face mask… 🙂
I hope you’ll enjoy treating yourself with these adorable chocolate face masks and scrubs. They are sure to put a smile to your face and make you feel relaxed and pampered.
If you have a chocolate skin or hair care recipe that hasn’t been mentioned above, let me know in the comments, I’d love to try it out…