Do you know what all the cocoa butter benefits for your skin are and how to use it in DIY beauty products?
If you are a chocolate fan and enjoy its decadent scent and rich, creamy texture, you will love the feel of cocoa butter on your skin. And though you can use cocoa and even chocolate to make DIY beauty products, there’s something really special in adding raw cocoa butter to your masks, scrubs and lotions.
Cocoa butter (or Theobroma oil) is extracted from cocoa beans. It has rich, thick texture, pale yellow color and recognizable chocolaty scent. It is one of the thickest natural butters, so unlike shea butter, you have to melt it before using it to make skincare products.
Cocoa butter benefits your skin, hair and health in many ways. We will focus on cocoa butter benefits for skin and how you can use this amazing natural moisturizer in skincare.
You can find down below 5 luxurious DIY beauty recipes that use cocoa butter. But first, let’s see how exactly cocoa butter benefits the skin and why you should use it as often as you can.
Cocoa Butter Benefits for Skin
- Cocoa butter contains stearic, oleic, palmitic and linoleic fatty acids and vitamins E and K.
- It is one of the best, the most luxurious natural moisturizers. This butter deep-nourishes your skin and provides it with lots of moisture and nutrients.
- It gets you rid of dry, rough patches and flaky skin.
- You can use it to soothe severe skin conditions caused by skin dryness, like eczema, dermatitis, some rashes…
- Not only it supplies your skin with moisture, but it also improves the skin’s protective barrier and that way prevents future drying out.
- Cocoa butter is a great anti-aging ingredient. It protects your skin from free radicals and helps you fight wrinkles, fine lines and dark spots.
- Cocoa butter has anti-inflammatory and healing properties that help repair damaged skin.
- It is often used for reducing scars and stretch marks. As a completely natural, organic product, unrefined cocoa butter is perfect for treating pregnancy stretch marks.
- Cocoa butter benefits the skin by protecting it and making it healthy. It makes your skin soft, smooth, supple, youthful, glowing, gorgeous looking and gorgeous smelling.
- It is suitable for all skin types, including very sensitive skin.
You can get all these cocoa butter benefits for skin at your own home and at minimal cost. Check out the following DIY skincare recipes with cocoa butter. I bet at least a couple of this products you could use at daily basis and they all have the potential to become your next favorites.
5 Best Cocoa Butter Skincare Recipes
#1 DIY Cocoa Butter Face Mask Recipe
However, if your skin is dry, flaky, dull and greyish, this cocoa butter face mask is a great quick-fix for you. It is a perfect way to quickly recover your skin, plump it up, make it soft and supple and improve the complexion.
This mask is perfect for irritated skin too, since oatmeal is a great skin soothing agent. It is also a great addition to any anti-aging skincare routine.
- 1 tablespoon cocoa butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- finely ground rolled oatmeal
First melt the cocoa butter. Then add the honey, mix and let it warm up just a bit. Remove from the heat. Add ground oatmeal – just enough to thicken the mask and get the consistency that you like.
Apply to a clean face, preferably after a scrub. Leave it on for about 20 minutes. Wash it off with a gentle face cleanser and warm water and proceed with your skincare routine as usual.
#2 DIY Cocoa Butter Body Scrub Recipe
Exfoliation is one of the most important steps of maintaining your skin smooth, youthful and glowing. It removes the layer of dead, dry skin cells and reveals the new, young skin underneath.
Regular exfoliation also encourages the skin renewal process, improves collagen production and helps the skin to absorb the products you apply after the scrub.
- ¼ cup cocoa butter
- 3 tablespoons castor or sweet almond oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 5 – 10 drops your favorite essential oil
Melt the cocoa butter. Mix it with castor oil or any other liquid oil you like. Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix everything well together.
Use this scrub twice a week to exfoliate your skin during your shower. Wash it off using a mild shower gel and apply a moisturizer right away.
#3 DIY Body Lotion for Dry Skin
This lotion combines shea butter and cocoa butter benefits, helps the skin to recover and regenerate and keeps it youthful and glowing. It is rich and nourishing. Besides two super-powerful natural butters, it also contains some of the most nourishing natural oils – coconut and sweet almond oil.
This DIY lotion is absolutely perfect for dry skin type or for anyone who feels his skin needs some extra care and attention. During winter, it will suit you perfectly no matter your skin type.
#4 Cocoa Whipped Body Butter Recipe
If you prefer body butters to lotions, you will love this recipe. As all whipped butters, it is really easy to make, rich, fluffy, extremely nourishing and spreads well on skin.
- 1 cup cocoa butter
- 1/3 cup shea butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons olive or sweet almond oil
Melt the cocoa butter at a lower heat; try not to warm it up more than you have to. When it’s almost melted, add the rest of the ingredients and mix until shea butter and coconut oil melt as well.
Let the mixture cool down a bit. When it starts to thicken, whip it with a mixer until you get the texture that you like. The more you mix it, the fluffier it gets.
Transfer your whipped body butter to a clean jar. Use it after shower, while your skin is still slightly damp.
#5 DIY Cocoa Butter Lip Balm Recipe – Chocolate & Mint
Chocolate and mint scents are such a perfect combination for a lip balm. And this amazing, luxurious DIY lip balm is definitely something you could use each and every day, especially during winter months.
Cocoa butter benefits your lips as much as it benefits your skin. It protects them from cold, drying weather and helps them retain the moisture. Mixed with jojoba oil, it will keep your lips soft, smooth and supple all winter long.
- 2 teaspoons cocoa butter
- 1 teaspoon jojoba oil
- a couple of drops vanilla essential oil
- a couple of drops mint essential oil
Slowly melt the cocoa butter and jojoba oil. When the cocoa butter is completely melted, remove from the heat. Add the essential oils and mix everything well.
Transfer the mixture to a small glass container. When it cools down, solidifies and turns opaque, you can use it as you would any other lip balm.