This post may contain affiliate links. Any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you!
With the rise of TikTok, there seems to be a hot new skincare trend every day. Keeping up with these trends can be overwhelming. Not all are effective, and some are even harmful to the skin.
However, some of these skincare trends on TikTok and other platforms are worth trying and incorporating into your skincare routine. Here is a look at 6 of the most popular skincare trends and their pros and cons to help you decide which ones you want to try.
1. At-Home Treatments
When the pandemic started and spas had to shut down, many turned to at-home treatments. The sale of home-use devices skyrocketed, and people started investing in things like advanced facial kits and FDA-approved beauty devices.
Even now that spas and beauty clinics are open, many continue with this at-home skincare trend. Some have abandoned in-clinic treatments completely, while others have combined them with at-home procedures for better results. Let’s look at the pros and cons of this popular skincare trend.
Pros of At-Home Treatments
- At-home treatments are more cost-effective than in-clinic treatments.
- You can use them more frequently.
- You can treat your skin from the comfort of your own home.
- There is no need to book spa appointments and wait. You can perform at-home treatments whenever you need.
Cons of At-Home Treatments
- At-home treatments are not as effective as in-clinic treatments.
- Some procedures, like clogged pore extractions, require the expertise of professionals. You can’t perform them yourself without hurting your skin.
- You may end up following the wrong skincare routine. Picking unsuitable products for your skin type can lead to more problems.
- You won’t have access to the specialized equipment that clinics and spas have.
2. Gua Sha
Gua Sha is another popular skincare trend that comes from ancient China. A Gua Sha facial is a traditional medicinal practice that arose in the Ming dynasty around 1370. People in Asia have used it for centuries. However, Gua Sha has become known worldwide thanks to skincare trends on TikTok and YouTube.
This healing technique involves scraping the skin with a unique tool. It’s a type of massage that improves circulation in the skin and addresses various other health conditions, such as chronic pain. Here are some of the pros and cons of this popular skincare trend.
Pros of Gua Sha
- Relieves facial tension
- Boosts blood flow and brightens the complexion
- Enhances oxygen delivery and nutrient absorption
- Firms and lifts the skin through the pulling movements
- Accelerates skin metabolism and renewal to reduce the appearance of wrinkles
- Promotes lymphatic drainage and removes toxins from the body while decreasing puffiness
- It may also help with symptoms of other conditions like hepatitis B, migraines, neck pain, and perimenopausal syndrome.
Cons of Gua Sha
- Due to the rubbing and scraping motions, it may burst tiny blood vessels near the skin’s surface.
- Vessels bursting can cause bruising and bleeding.
- With bleeding, there is the risk of bloodborne illnesses transferring to your body.
- Some may experience temporary indentations on their skin.
- It’s not suitable for people who take blood thinners, those with clotting disorders, or those who have had surgery in the past six weeks.
One of the most popular skincare trends involves the use of products that have retinol. This vitamin A derivative is found in many skin creams, serums, and lotions. People have been using retinol in skincare for a long time, but it has risen in popularity only recently. The hashtag #retinol had over 1.2 billion views on TikTok.
A skincare routine with retinol will work differently for everyone. However, this ingredient has numerous benefits. Here are some of the noteworthy pros and cons of retinol.
Pros of Retinol
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines
- Helps corrects pigmentation issues
- Helps clear acne by reducing excess oil production
- Helps improves collagen production and skin elasticity
Cons of Retinol
- It can cause skin reactions and irritation in some people.
- It may cause a tingling sensation and slight peeling of the skin.
- It may increase sun sensitivity, so using different types of sunscreen becomes necessary.
Another favorite new ingredient in popular skincare trends is niacinamide. You can find it in various creams, topicals, serums, and sunscreens. While this vitamin B3 is new in skincare trends on TikTok, it has been around for many years. The reason is the recent scientific findings that highlight niacinamide’s numerous benefits. Here are some of the pros and cons of this wonder ingredient.
Pros of Niacinamide
- Balances skin tone and hydrates the skin
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles and enhances skin elasticity
- Helps fight inflammatory processes involved in acne-prone skin
- Regulates sebum secretion of skin while reducing the appearance of pore size
- Helps enhance lipid and protein synthesis to strengthen the skin barrier
- Helps reduce irritation and protect the skin against environmental pollutants
Cons of Niacinamide
- Oral forms of niacinamide may cause nausea and diarrhea
- It may cause mild burning, redness, and itchiness in people with sensitive skin
5. Going Makeup-Free
One of the most popular skincare trends is going makeup free. No, we don’t mean the no makeup look, but eliminating makeup from the skincare routine entirely. Many celebrities, like Alicia Keys, have embraced this trend and put away makeup for good.
However, glowing up without makeup requires dedication to a healthy lifestyle that can sometimes be hard to follow. Learn about some of the most notable pros and cons of going makeup free to see if this skincare trend is for you.
Pros of Going Makeup-Free
- You can prepare much quicker when going out.
- You will experience fewer allergic reactions and infections.
- You won’t need to touch up your makeup throughout the day.
- Your pores will be less clogged, and your skin will become blemish-free.
- You will try to heal your skin rather than cover up imperfections.
- You will learn to love your true self more without relying on cosmetics.
- You can save hundreds of dollars that you would typically spend on cosmetics.
Cons of Going Makeup-Free
- Your skin imperfections will become more visible.
- You will need to spend more time healing your skin from within by following a healthy lifestyle and eating a clean diet.
- You won’t be able to transform your looks.
- You may not look as good as you do with makeup in photos.
Skinimalism is another popular skincare trend similar to the no-makeup routine. This one is about simplifying the skincare routine and using as few products as possible.
Skinimalism rose from the ongoing inflation. However, many have now embraced it due to its simplicity. The focus is not necessarily on cheap skincare products but on those that deliver the best results. Users are searching for efficiency and getting the most bang for their buck. Let’s look at some of the pros and cons of this popular skincare trend.
Pros of Skinimalism
- You will experience less product buildup.
- Your skincare routine will become simple.
- You can save more money and storage space.
- You can improve your natural radiance and allow your skin to take a break from heavy products.
Cons of Skinimalism
- You may not be able to find products that address all your skin issues.
- You won’t be able to try various products to see how they work on your skin.
Pick a Trend and Try It Out
Most trends are transient and not worth trying. However, some popular skincare trends can benefit your skin and lifestyle. Now that you know their pros and cons, you can pick the one you like and try it out. You may find something that transforms your beauty routine forever!
Written by Tess DiNapoli
Tess DiNapoli is an artist, freelance writer, and content strategist. She has a passion for yoga and often writes about health and wellness, but also enjoys covering the fashion industry and world of fitness.