This post may contain affiliate links. Any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you!
Serums have recently gained huge popularity do to their ability to give you the effect like you have just stepped out of a beauty salon. Though may be expensive, face serum not only gives you instant results, but is a smart investment in your skin’s future.
But many women still don’t know what this product is and how best to use it to achieve optimal results. So…
What Is Face Serum?
Face serum is highly effective, highly concentrated, luxurious cosmetic product. We usually reach for it when our facial cream is not enough anymore and feel the need for some extra care.
Serum is an addition to your beauty routine that contains high concentrations of active ingredients specifically combined to treat a particular skin problem.
If you compare it with creams and lotions, face serum has a lighter texture and skin absorbs it faster. Serum’s molecules are smaller and therefore able to penetrate deeper into the skin than facial cream ever could. Thus, the skin gets more hydration and active ingredients on a cellular level.
On the other hand, facial cream stays longer on the surface, protecting the skin from environmental influences and UV rays. That layer on the top also helps the skin to keep the moisture it got from the serum.
This is why, though face serum could be used on its own, it works best when combined with facial cream.
Why You Should Use Face Serum:
- Face serum contains only high-quality luxurious ingredients in high concentration. Considering how much we are paying for them, with serums every molecule counts. You can be sure your skin gets only the best and that it gets enough of it to show visible results in a very short period of time.
- One of the major advantages of serum is that it focuses on some particular skin issue and deals with it with all its might, which makes it highly efficient.
- Face serum reaches into deep skin layers and supplies them with water and active ingredients. With serum, skin doesn’t just look hydrated – it is hydrated and the results are long-lasting.
- Face serum (real, water-based serum) is lighter than moisturizer and does not clog your pores. This leads to reduced blackheads and rarer acne breakouts.
- As the result of all of this, your skin is smooth and firm, thoroughly nurtured, with smaller pores and even complexion. Even through the makeup you can notice that special glow that signifies youth and health. Skin looks fresh and renewed and its overall appearance is improved.
Do You Need Face Serum If You Are Younger Than 35?
Most girls think of serums as anti-aging products. Though there are serums that successfully fight aging signs, usage of face serum spreads beyond that.
Serums are products meant to deal with a particular skin issue, not just ageing signs. High concentrations of active ingredients adjusted to the skin’s individual needs is what makes serum so efficient.
You can find on the market hydrating serums for treating dry skin, serums that revitalize tired and lifeless skin, cleansing serums for skin with irregularities, serums that soothe sensitive, irritated skin… and of course, anti-aging serums, irreplaceable in lifting the skin and smoothing fine lines.
Don’t wait until you are 35+ to start using a serum when it has such a power to transform your skin. As you can see, no matter your age or skin type, you can find a face serum that can upgrade your skin to the next level.
How to Use Face Serum?
First, cleanse your skin thoroughly and apply a toner. Damp skin better absorbs serum (and anything else), so that is a nice little trick to help your skin get even more from your skincare routine.
Apply face serum after toner and before moisturizer. You will need only 2 – 3 drops for your face and neck. Don’t massage it into your skin, just lightly pat it with your finger. Wait for a couple of minutes until it is completely absorbed before you continue with your day or night face cream.
For the best results, cosmeticians recommend using face serum twice a day, but they suggest caution in the beginning. Because of the high concentration of active ingredients, these products could cause irritations.
Try using serum once every other day, then gradually increase it until you find what suits your skin the most.
There are also indications that face serum should be used for a month, then make a break.
Which Serum Is Best for Your Skin Type?
If you’d like to give face serum a try but you don’t know which one to pick, here are a couple of suggestions for you:
- oily skin – Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% (The Ordinary);
- acne prone skin – Pore + Wrinkle Perfecting Serum (Renée Rouleau);
- dry skin – Get up & Glow (Oskia);
- dehydrated skin – Super Bounce (Glossier);
- combination skin – Skin Drink Concentrate (Renée Rouleau);
- anti-aging – Vine[Activ] Glow Activating Anti-Wrinkle Serum (Caudalie);
- sensitive skin – Evercalm Anti-Redness Serum (REN).