This post may contain affiliate links. Any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you!
The most important steps of spring skincare – how and why to transition your skincare from winter to spring…
The spring is finally here. You can already feel it in the air. There are traces of it in slightly higher temperatures, in the slightly brighter sky, in people’s lighter mood, in new trends and new ideas.
Your skin also welcomes the end of winter and, with it, the end of the harsh conditions it had to go through. Your spring skincare routine should follow these changes. It is about time to get rid of the dull, dry skin we got over the winter and prepare our skin for the upcoming warmer months.
You only need a couple of alterations to make your skin bright and glowing. Here are all the steps you should adopt right now to make your skin ready for the time of light, swaying dresses.
First things first – dry patches and dead skin cells need to go. Exfoliation removes that layer of dull skin and reveals new, young, healthy skin underneath.
It also cleanses your pores, deals with ingrown hairs, refreshes your complexion and gives you that youthful glow. It encourages new cell growth and makes your skin soft, supple and smooth.
These scrubs are some of the best on the market:
- ORIGINS Never A Dull Moment Skin-Brightening Face Polisher With Fruit Extracts
- Bioré Pore Unclogging Scrub
- Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment
- Clinique 7 Day Scrub Cream
- Bobbi Brown Buffing Grains for Face
- Dove Exfoliating Body Polish – Macadamia & Rice Milk
- AMELIORATE Smoothing Body Exfoliant
- Herbivore Coco Rose Coconut Oil Body Polish
- Caress Evenly Gorgeous Exfoliating Body Wash
- The Body Shop Cocoa Butter Body Scrub
2. Face Masks for Spring Skincare
You can now cut back on heavy masks. Keep using them once every two weeks; the rest replace with light fruit and gel masks to brighten your complexion and add life to it.
These DIY Masks for Luminous Skin are just the right thing for this time of year.
If you’d rather rely on commercial products, here are some masks loaded with vitamins, minerals and enzymes for extra hydration and dewy appearance:
- GLAMGLOW Thirstymud Hydrating Treatment
- PETER THOMAS ROTH Cucumber Gel Mask
- Kiehl’s Instant Renewal Concentrate Mask
- Oskia Renaissance Mask
- Origins Original Skin Retexturizing Mask with Rose Clay
3. Choose Everyday Products Better Suited For Spring Skincare
You still need a cleanser, toner and moisturizer. But the products that suited you during the winter might not work for you anymore.
For example, over winter, our skin lipid barrier is at risk, so we opt for creamy cleansers. Now you don’t need them anymore, so find a cleanser that should still suit your skin type and be gentle to your skin, but unlike creamy cleansers it won’t leave any oily residue on the skin.
- Garnier SkinActive The Gentle Sulfate-Free Cleanser
- Mario Badescu Glycolic Foaming Cleanser
- Juara Rice Facial Cleanser
- Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser
- Koh Gen Do Cleansing Spa Water
You also won’t need heavy moisturizers and oils anymore. Instead, a hydrating lotion or gel moisturizer is a much better option for spring skincare.
- Clarins Hydra-Essentiel Cream Gel
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
- fresh Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream
- GLAMGLOW Waterburst Hydrated Glow Moisturizer
4. Sunscreen Is a Must
Though sunscreen is a must during winter as well, in spring, when it’s warmer and we tend to spend a lot of time outside, you should be even more vigilant about it.
- NARS Smooth & Protect Primer
- Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Dry-Touch Sunscreen
- Glossier Invisible Shield Daily Sunscreen
- Supergoop! City Sunscreen Serum SPF 30
- Shiseido Wetforce Clear Stick UV Protector
5. Your Makeup Should Follow the Spring Skincare Changes
What used to work in the past few months doesn’t work anymore. Heavy, dark makeup that went well with wool winter coats doesn’t match with light spring wardrobe. Check out some ideas for Spring Summer 2018 Hair and Makeup Trends.
As for your skin, a heavy foundation can definitely do a lot of damage to your skin in this time of unstable weather and high humidity. You better leave that one acne not quite covered by light makeup than cause a dozen more to appear by clogging your pores.
BB creams, CC creams and tinted moisturizers are a perfect solution for spring skincare/makeup. They are light and hydrating, easy on the skin and provide just enough coverage to even out your complexion without making the mask effect.
- Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream
- L’Oréal Paris Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream
- Estee Lauder Daywear BB Anti-Oxidant Creme
- Clinique Acne Solutions BB Cream
- Burberry Fresh Glow BB Cream
6. Best Body Lotions for Spring
Don’t limit your spring skincare only to your face – your body skin needs some pampering, too. But, just like with face care, you don’t need any heavy products.
You need something light and nurturing. Something that gets absorbed fast, so you can apply it, get dressed and be on your way. Something that will make your skin fresh and glowing all day long. And, of course, it needs to smell amazing!
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion
- St. Ives Soft and Silky Body Lotion, Coconut and Orchid
- Curél Hydra Therapy Wet Skin Moisturizer
- fresh Sugar Lemon Body Lotion
- Key West Aloe Mango Moisturizing Lotion
Or you can make your own Whipped Body Butter and add the essential oils you like the most.
7. Food Makes Half of Spring Skincare
Nature knows the best, that is a fact. And there’s a reason why there are so many spring fruits and vegetables. They are here for us, to help us replenish all the vitamins and minerals we were lacking on during winter. The comfort food time has come and gone; now it’s time to repair the damage.
So, take a walk to the closest street market. Fill your bags with juicy, fresh-smelling, super healthy fruits and veggies. Include them in your everyday meals and they will visibly boost your energy and make your skin plump, youthful and supple.
What makeup can give you that?