This post may contain affiliate links. Any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you!
Milk and honey are a famous combination in many ways and for many reasons. Long before honey and milk face mask became so popular, we were being advised to drink a glass of milk with honey every day, to improve digestion, stamina and bone health, relieve sleep disorders and, of course, to improve the condition of our skin and hair.
Ever since the ancient times and Cleopatra’s famous milk baths, people are trying to find new ways to incorporate this powerful, yet gentle combination into their beauty and wellness routines. Many spa centers also offer versions of this famous duo, from milk and honey body wraps to aromatherapy massages.
You can recreate some of these at home. But the easiest, cheapest and honestly – one if the best ways to nourish your skin with milk and honey is to make this amazing all-natural face mask.
There are many reasons why I love honey and milk face mask so much. First, I always have the ingredients on hand, so it takes me less than 5 minutes to mix it up every time I feel my skin could use some help.
Also, this mask is very easy to customize. Even though it is suitable for all skin types, you can always add something to make it even more beneficial for your specific skin condition.
But more about that later. First, let’s talk about the basic, just milk and honey version of this mask. Keep reading to find out what its benefits for your skin are and how to make it…
Benefits of honey and milk face mask
This mask is one of the most nourishing DIY face treatments I’ve ever found! It is hydrating, gentle, non-irritating, restoring and it makes my face look and feel healthier and younger.
However, this mask is not some miracle cure. You can’t use it once and expect it to fix all your skin problems. But, with regular use (every or every other day), soon you’ll be able to see a real, visible improvement in your skin’s appearance. It even helped me fade some stubborn acne marks!
Both ingredients are amongst the best natural skin boosters.
Honey is a humectant that hydrates the skin without making it oily. It has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, purifying and healing effects on the skin. It brightens the skin and evens out the complexion. Honey is one of the most often used ingredients in DIY face masks.
Milk cleanses, hydrates and rejuvenates the skin. It contains lactic acid, which dissolves dead skin cells and encourages the skin to produce new, healthy ones. Plus, it is full of vitamins, minerals and enzymes that lighten the skin tone, fade imperfections and make the skin soft, firm and smooth.
Combined together in a face mask, honey and milk can help you:
- gently cleanse and exfoliate your skin and even out your skin tone
- thoroughly hydrate dry skin, soften it and make it plum and supple
- improve the skin’s protective barrier and prevent damages and drying out
- fade skin imperfection, such as acne marks, dark spots and hyperpigmentation
- soothe skin irritations and acne inflammations
- prevent premature aging signs by maintaining your skin healthy and optimally moisturized
- balance out the sebum production and keep oily skin under control
- naturally cleanse and shrink enlarged pores
- encourage your skin to renew itself by stimulating its natural healing process
- brighten your complexion and add youthful, dewy glow to your skin
So, you have 10 excellent reasons to try out this honey and milk face mask. And, since the mask is inexpensive, easy to make and highly unlikely to cause any negative reactions on the skin, there are really no reasons not to give it a shot.
Here’s the recipe:
DIY Honey and Milk Face Mask Recipe
To make a face mask with milk and honey, you will need:
- 1 tablespoon raw organic honey
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
Put both the ingredients in a small bowl. You can warm them up a bit, to make it easier for you to combine them together. Mix well until the honey is completely dissolved and you get a smooth, but very thin and runny mask.
Wash your face with warm water and a gentle face wash. Using a cotton bowl, apply the milk and honey mask to your skin. Apply as much as you can, but be careful – the mixture will be very thin and it will drip all over the place!
You should keep the mask on your face for 10 – 15 minutes. During that time, reapply every time your skin soaks it up and don’t let it completely dry on your face.
After 10 – 15 minutes, rinse off the mask well. Apply your face cream right away, while your skin is still warm and slightly damp (not wet!). That will prevent the water evaporation and keep your skin well hydrated for much longer.
How to customize milk and honey face mask
This face mask is very nourishing on its own and it is suitable for all skin types. But, if you want to even more aim its benefits towards solving a specific skin problem, here’s how you can do that:
- If you have sensitive skin that is prone to irritations, you can add 1 – 2 teaspoons of finely ground rolled oats. A teaspoon or two of ground nutmeg would also improve the mask’s anti-inflammatory properties.
- For skin brightening, try adding 1 – 2 teaspoons of rice flour. You can also try with rice boiled till soft, then mashed into a smooth paste.
- One of the best ways to add glow to your skin is to combine hydrating honey and milk face mask with a product that is packed with antioxidants, such as matcha green tea powder.
- For reducing acne and controlling oily skin, 1 teaspoon of kaolin clay would be a perfect addition to this mask. You can also try with 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
- To delay aging signs and maintain your skin firm and smooth for much longer, try regularly using milk and honey mask with the addition of 1 – 2 teaspoons of fresh orange juice or 1 – 2 drops of vitamin E oil.
- The combination of milk and honey is already great for replenishing dry, rough skin. To make it even more moisturizing, try adding 1 – 2 teaspoons of jojoba or coconut oil.
- Dry and/or irritated skin would also appreciate if you’d add 1 tablespoon of banana or avocado puree.
- To get rid of acne marks or dark spots even faster, try adding 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel or 1 teaspoon of turmeric.