This post may contain affiliate links. Any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you!
With so many benefits of garlic for skin, you would be crazy not to try it out and use it as often as you can. Find down below 5 best DIY garlic face mask recipes and get glowing, thigh, healthy looking skin in no time…
When you think about beauty or cosmetic products, I bet garlic will hardly cross your mind. To spread this smelly little thing all over your skin? Why the hell would anyone do that?
Well, there’s a huge because.
Though it stinks so badly, it can apparently deter vampires, when it comes to humans, garlic works as a health and youth elixir. More than that, a humble clove of garlic has such beauty benefits for you, it can put to shame the whole cosmetic industry.
Here’s why putting garlic on your skin is actually a really good idea:
The benefits of garlic for skin:
- Garlic contains vitamins B and C, calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc, potassium, selenium… It is just a start, and they all have their own beauty benefits to offer.
- The antioxidant properties of garlic are unbeatable. It protects the skin against free radicals, revitalizes it and effectively treats skin aging signs.
- Garlic also has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which can help soothe and treat acne and acne scars.
- You can use it to treat blackheads and whiteheads.
- Since it exfoliates the skin and prevents accumulation of dirt and oil, garlic can help minimize enlarged pores.
- Garlic can heal dry, flaky, chapped skin and soothe irritations. It hydrates and lubricates your skin, keeping it moist and smooth.
- There are hints it could help soothe psoriasis and eczema.
- Its anti-fungal properties can be used for treating athlete’s foot.
- Garlic-infused natural oils are often used to treat stretch marks.
- You can use garlic for skin brightening and to get a skin that is firm, supple, elastic, youthful, healthy and naturally glowing.
5 Best DIY Garlic Face Mask Recipes
Word of caution – though garlic has many benefits for your skin and you most definitely can and should be using it, never apply garlic alone. It can burn your skin, dry it out and make it peel and blister.
In the following recipes, garlic is combined with mild, soothing ingredients to prevent these side effects. But just to be on the safe side, you should do a patch test first to check your skin’s reaction to the garlic face masks (even if you never had problems when eating garlic).
So, here’s how to use garlic for skin care, to really enhance the appearance and condition of your skin:
#1 Skin Brightening Diy Garlic Face Mask
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
This mask is perfect for every time you need something to refresh and brighten your skin and even out your complexion. It cleanses, hydrates and nourishes your skin and improves the microcirculation. It gives you a bright, fresh, youthful look and a dewy glow.
Mash a clove of garlic until you get a smooth paste. Add aloe vera gel and melted coconut oil. Mix everything well until smooth. Apply the paste to a clean face. Leave it on for around 10 minutes. Then wash the mask off and apply your face cream right away.
READ NEXT: 5 BEST DIY ALOE VERA FACE MASKS
#2 Diy Garlic Face Mask for Acne
Acne prone skin can be very sensitive and irritated. This mask has anti-inflammatory properties that will soothe irritations and redness. It also gently cleanses the skin and prevents future breakouts.
Mash well a clove of garlic, try to get rid of as many lumps as you can. Add the honey and tea tree oil and mix. In the end, add the oatmeal powder to get a smooth, thick paste. Apply to a clean face. After 10 – 15 minutes, rinse it off well and apply a lightweight face moisturizer.
READ NEXT: HOW TO GET RID OF ACNE – FULL GUIDE
#3 Diy Garlic Face Mask for Dry Skin
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 – 3 teaspoons milk
- 1 – 2 teaspoons olive oil
Use this face mask once a week to nourish dry skin, make it soft and smooth and get rid of dry patches. Milk gently exfoliates the skin and hydrates it. Olive oil is one of the most moisturizing natural oils.
Soak the garlic clove in milk for around 30 minutes. Then mash it well, add olive oil and mix everything well together. Wash your face and gently exfoliate it. Apply this mask and leave it on for around 15 minutes. Wash it off and apply your face moisturizer.
READ NEXT: HOW TO GET RID OF DRY SKIN IN 7 SIMPLE STEPS
#4 Diy Garlic Face Mask for Oily Skin
This face mask is a great way to use garlic for skin that is oily and prone to imperfections. Tomato reduces the excess oil and hydrates the skin at the same time. Honey also hydrates the skin and it has antibacterial effect to the skin.
First mix the mashed garlic, tomato and honey. Add just enough rice flour to get the consistency that is not too runny and not too thick. Wash your face, then apply this mask. Leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash the mask off using a gentle cleanser and apply a lightweight moisturizer while your skin is still damp.
READ NEXT: HOW TO KEEP OILY SKIN UNDER CONTROL
#5 Anti-Aging Diy Garlic Face Mask
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon sweet almond oil
- 2 – 3 drops lavender essential oil (buy here)
If you want to use garlic for skin that is just starting to show aging signs, this mask is perfect for you. It is rich and nourishing, full of moisture, antioxidants and protein. This mask will hydrate and soothe your skin and make it plump, soft and supple.
Mash the garlic and banana until there are no any lumps left. Then all you have to do is mix all the ingredients well together. You can use this mask 1 – 2 times a week – just keep it on your face for around 20 minutes and don’t forget to apply your face cream as soon as you remove the mask.
READ NEXT: 10 BEST DIY ANTI-AGING FACE MASKS