This post may contain affiliate links. Any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you!
Scroll down to find what are the best oils for hair growth and thickness, dry, damaged strands or irritated scalp…
There’s a reason why natural oils are staple ingredients in the hair care industry. They are included in so many types of hair products and often recommended for treating various hair problems and conditions.
Maybe you wouldn’t think it, but some of the best oils for your hair are the ones that are the easiest to find and use. If you aren’t already using some, here are some excellent reasons to start…
Why Are Natural Oils So Good For Your Hair?
Natural plant oils provide a safe, chemicals-free way to deep nourish your hair. They have been used for centuries to treat various hair conditions and to add a healthy glow.
Oils are rich in fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that can keep your hair healthy and thick and add shine to your strands. More than just repairing existing damage, oils can also protect your hair and prevent future breakage and drying out.
Some of the best oils for hair health, growth, thickness, as well as to replenish the moisture levels in your hair, are: coconut, castor, argan, olive, jojoba, macadamia, sweet almond, lavender, rosemary and lemongrass essential oil.
Which Hair Problems Can Be Treated With Hair Oils?
You can use natural oils in your hair care regimen to:
- add moisture to dry, coarse strands
- lock in water molecules and prevent drying out
- provide hair with nutrients necessary for its health and growth
- repair damage from styling tools and chemicals
- protect your hair against the elements
- prevent breakage and delay split ends
- make the hair soft, smooth, shiny and beautiful
- promote hair growth and thickness
- nourish the scalp and prevent dandruff
- soothe scalp irritations and treat itchy scalp
10 Best Oils for Hair Care
1. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is one of the best oils you can use to treat dry, damaged hair. Some girls avoid using it on their face because of its potential to clog pores and cause breakouts. But everyone seems to be loving it when it comes to body skin and hair care.
Due to its small molecular weight and high content of lauric acid, this oil can penetrate through the hair cortex and deep nourish the hair. You can use it to moisturize your hair, delay split ends, nourish the scalp and enhance hair growth.
2. Castor oil
Castor oil is obtained from castor beans. It is a very thick, colorless liquid packed with vitamin E, minerals and fatty acids. Many people swear that castor oil is the best oil for hair loss – there are even claims that it can make the hair grow 3 – 5 times faster than normal.
There is no clinical evidence to support this, but you can always try it for yourselves, as this is a safe, easy and inexpensive method. This oil can definitely help you treat dry, itchy scalp and that way enhance the health and growth of your hair.
3. Argan oil
Another oil that has been very popular in the hair care industry lately. It is extracted from the fresh kernels of the fruit of the argan tree and it is often referred to as “liquid gold”.
Argan oil thoroughly moisturizes the hair, conditions it, reduces frizz and adds shine. It also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects to the scalp. This oil can reduce damage caused by hair dyeing and styling.
4. Olive oil
Such a humble ingredient we all have in our pantries, and yet one of the best products you can use to repair and revitalize your hair. Olive oil can smooth the outer cuticle of the hair, which is one of the reasons behind that extra shine after using it.
Olive oil is rich in oleic acid, palmitic acid and squalene – all emollients that soften the hair and help retain moisture. It makes the hair healthier, stronger and more resilient.
5. Jojoba oil
Jojoba oil is a lightweight waxy substance whose texture is very similar to the sebum our skin and scalp naturally produce. It contains vitamins B, C and E, copper and zinc.
Jojoba oil is one of the best natural moisturizers for both your skin and hair. It strengthens the hair, prevents split ends, breakage and drying out and it can even help you treat dandruff.
6. Macadamia oil
Macadamia oil is a clear, pale yellow oil extracted from the nuts of macadamia trees. It is rich in potassium and fatty acids – especially its content of palmitoleic acid is what makes it a valuable cosmetic ingredient.
Macadamia oil adds moisture, fatty acids and antioxidants to your hair without weighting it down. Because of that, as well as for its nourishing, conditioning and protective properties, this oil is often recommended for treating curly hair.
7. Sweet almond oil
Most nut and seed oils are great natural hair treatments. Sweet almond oil is high in omega-9 fatty acids, vitamin E and protein.
Sweet almond oil conditions and detangles the hair and makes it softer and smoother. It is also a great moisturizer for your scalp; this oil can be used to soothe itchy scalp, combat dryness and treat dandruff.
8. Lavender essential oil
Lavender oil has gained a lot of attention lately in the hair care world. Though limited, apparently there is some evidence that lavender oil can promote hair growth and reduce pattern baldness or alopecia.
This oil can help you get that beautiful hair you dream of while adding a clean, relaxing scent to your hair care products. Although you can apply it to the whole length of your hair, it is most effective when applied directly to the scalp.
9. Rosemary essential oil
There are many anecdotal evidence revolving around rosemary oil as one of the best oils for hair loss, promoting hair thickness and even preventing premature graying. And even a few studies suggest that rosemary oil might indeed help with hair growth.
Rosemary oil has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help maintain the scalp healthy and well nourished. It also improves the circulation and that way promotes the blood supply of nutrients to the roots of the hair.
10. Lemongrass essential oil
It has been proven that lemongrass oil is an excellent natural remedy for dandruff, especially with regular use. This oil also adds shine to the dull strands and may even help strengthen hair follicles and prevent hair loss.
How You Can Use Natural Oils to Treat Your Hair
Natural oils are so easy to incorporate into your existing hair care routine! Just keep in mind that carrier oils can be used on their own, but essential oils need to be diluted first. Also, since essential oils are highly concentrated, even very small amounts will do.
So, now that you know which oils are best for your hair, here are a few ways to use them:
- Add to your hair pack – Whichever hair pack you are using, you can enhance its nourishing properties by adding any of the hair friendly oils above. You should add 1 – 2 tablespoons of a carrier oil or a few drops of an essential oil.
- Make DIY hair masks – Natural oils are amongst the best ingredients you can use in your homemade hair masks. Check out these amazing 5 hair masks with coconut oil and feel free to replace coconut oil with any other carrier oil.
- Treat split ends – The ends of your hair are the driest, roughest, most vulnerable parts. Make sure to give them some extra love by applying an oil to the bottom half of your hair. Just don’t apply too much or it could weigh down your hair and mess up your volume.
- Try a hot oil treatment – Treating your hair with a mixture of warm oils have so many benefits for dry, dull or damaged hair! You can check out here what exactly hot oil hair treatment is and how to use it.
- Treat your scalp – If your scalp is dry, itchy or prone to dandruff, massaging some oil into the roots of your hair an hour before washing it can be a great solution. Use enough carrier oil to thoroughly saturate your scalp and feel free to mix it with a few drops of one of the above essential oils before application. (Tea tree oil can also be great for dandruff.)
Plant oils are definitely my personal favorite way to treat my hair and maintain it soft, smooth and healthy. Now that you know what are the best oils for your hair and how to add them to your hair routine, make sure to use them on a regular basis and you should see the results after a very short time…