This post may contain affiliate links. Any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you!
Coconut oil quickly became one of the most appreciated natural oils worldwide. Benefits of coconut oil for your hair and skin are numerous and if you check the labels on your beauty products, you’ll probably find it in at least some of them.
Especially if you have dry, damaged hair, coconut oil can help you a lot. It has a pleasant scent and creamy, easily absorbable texture. Coconut oil coats your hair in a protective layer from root to tips, nourishes it, makes it soft and glowing and helps you define your locks.
Here are all the ways coconut oil benefits your hair and why you should be using coconut oil hair masks at least twice a month:
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Hair
- Coconut oil is one of the few natural oils that can actually penetrate the cortex and sink deep into the hair shaft.
- It moisturizes dry hair from deep within, keeps the hair well hydrated and prevents drying out and frizz.
- One of the most important ways coconut oil benefits the hair is by promoting a healthy scalp. It gets you rid of dry scalp skin and dandruff.
- Healthy scalp means healthy hair. Coconut oil prevents hair loss and stimulates hair regrowth.
- It restores and recovers damaged hair, thoroughly nourishes it and protects it from future damages.
- DIY coconut oil hair masks add volume and thickness to your hair and make it bouncy, flexible and full of life.
- Coconut oil prevents hair breakage and deals with split ends. It helps you grow your hair as long as you want it to be.
- Since coconut oil is solid at room temperature but melts when warmed up, it is a perfect oil to help you style your hair and keep its form all day long.
- Other benefits of coconut oil for hair include getting healthy, shiny hair, soft, rich and manageable, simply put – beautiful hair you can be proud of.
- Coconut oil provides completely natural, organic treatment for your hair. No toxins, parabens and chemicals, safe for your whole family.
If you’d like to get all these amazing benefits of coconut oil for your hair quickly and easily, check out the 5 best DIY coconut oil hair mask recipes down below. And don’t forget to adjust the amounts of the ingredients to the length and thickness of your own hair…
#1 Diy Hair Mask with Coconut Oil and Avocado
- 2 large tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
This amazing DIY hair mask raises the benefits of coconut oil for hair to the next level. Avocado is often used in haircare because of its high content of fatty acids and nourishing proteins. Yogurt also hydrates and nourishes the hair and makes it very shiny.
This DIY coconut oil hair mask is super easy to make. First mash or blend the avocado well, to get a smooth puree. Add the yogurt and mix well. Warm up the coconut oil until it softens. Then add it to the previous mixture and mix everything well together.
Apply the mask to your hair from root to tips. Massage the mask into your scalp for around 5 minutes. Then leave the mask on for another 15 – 20 minutes. Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
READ NEXT: 10 BEST DIY AVOCADO FACE MASKS
#2 Diy Hair Mask with Coconut Oil and Honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup milk
A hot beverage, face mask or hair treatment – milk and honey are powerful and nourishing combination no matter how you use them. For hair, and mixed with coconut oil, they provide lots of moisture, vitamins and antioxidants. They soften the hair, repair damages and make it healthy again.
First warm up the milk. Remove from the heat and add the coconut oil and honey. Gently mix until everything is melted. The warmth of the milk will help all the ingredients combine well together.
Check the temperature of the mask before pouring it through your hair; it should feel pleasantly warm on your skin. Apply the mask to your wet hair and leave it like that for 20 – 30 minutes. Wash your hair with lukewarm water and a mild shampoo.
READ NEXT: 10 BEST DIY HONEY FACE MASKS
#3 Diy Hair Mask with Coconut Oil and Aloe Vera
- 3 large tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 – 4 tablespoons aloe vera gel
This is a hydrating, restoring hair treatment that conditions the hair and makes it soft, elastic, flexible and manageable. Aloe vera is a miracle plant that helps with all sorts of hair problems and conditions. It deep-hydrates the hair and adds glow to it.
To make this aloe vera and coconut oil hair treatment, all you have to do is mix approximately equal amounts of both the ingredients. If you warm up the coconut oil first, it will be much easier to mix everything well.
Wet your hair and squeeze out the excess water. Apply the hair mask from root to tips. Massage it into your hair and scalp and leave it like that for 20 – 30 minutes. Wash your hair with lukewarm-to-warm water and a mild shampoo.
READ NEXT: 5 BEST DIY ALOE VERA FACE MASKS
#4 Diy Hair Mask with Coconut Oil and Banana
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
The mixture of banana and coconut oil benefits the hair in more than one way. It nourishes and moisturizes it, gives you a healthy scalp, prevents hair loss, strengthens brittle hair and repairs split ends. Apple cider vinegar polishes the hair and gives you a high-end glow.
Blend the banana in a blender; you don’t want any chunks left or they can stick into your hair. Once completely smooth, add the other two ingredients and mix everything well together.
Apply the hair mask to wet hair. Comb your hair, twist it into a bun and cover with a shower cap. Wrap a towel around your head and leave it like that for around 20 minutes. Wash the mask out and blow dry your hair as you normally would.
READ NEXT: 10 BEST DIY BANANA FACE MASKS
#5 Diy Hair Mask with Coconut Oil and Lavender Essential Oil
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 – 6 tablespoons coconut or almond milk
- 10 – 15 drops lavender essential oil
If your hair looks dull and lifeless, this is a perfect treatment to bring it back to life and make it shiny and bouncy again. It provides all the benefits of coconut oil for your hair, plus the nutrients and proteins from the milk and soothing and restoring effect of lavender essential oil.
Melt the coconut oil. Add the coconut milk and mix it in. In the end, add the lavender oil (you can replace it with some other essential oil you prefer). Mix everything well together.
Pour the mask through your hair and massage it into your hair and scalp. Wrap your hair in a warm towel and leave it like that for 20 – 30 minutes. Then wash and condition your hair as usual.
So, these were the benefits of coconut oil for hair and 5 amazing ways to use them. Any of these DIY coconut oil hair masks will repair and regenerate your hair and make it healthy, soft and bouncy. When you try them out, let us know in the comments which one was your favorite 🙂 . Or share some of your favorite haircare recipes with us…
READ NEXT: 5 BEST DIY HAIR MASKS FOR CURLY HAIR
READ NEXT: THE BEST DIY HAIR MOISTURIZER RECIPE